Taco Zucchini Boats
Zucchini filled with taco seasoned ground beef, topped with tomato and smothered in cheese. Bake it in the oven and garnish with green onion for the perfect meal.
When I stopped at the farm market I found small zucchini that were two for $1.00. It is the end of the growing season where I live so I thought I would grab one last meal of fresh zucchini.
Below is the link to my other Zucchini recipe – Zucchini Pizza Boats.
Rinse the zucchini and wipe dry with a
paper towel. Slice them in half lengthwise
and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
Place paper towel into the center of
the sliced zucchini to absorb water.
Leave it there and set aside.
Add the onion to the water and set aside.
Dice the tomato and slice the
green onions then set aside.
In a large frying pan, cook the
ground beef over medium heat
until no pink remains, drain the grease.
Add the taco seasoning to the ground beef.
Thoroughly mix the taco
seasoning into the ground beef.
Add the water with the onion
and the taco sauce to the pan.
Stir until combined. Simmer for
10 minutes or until liquid is gone.
Add the tomato sauce and stir to combine.
Simmer until very thick and
you can pick it up with a fork.
Spray cooking oil into an oven safe dish
that the zucchini will sit flat in. Remove
the paper towel from the zucchini and
place them into the dish cut side up.
Fill the zucchini with the ground beef.
Top with the diced tomato.
Top with the cheese.
Bake uncovered in a preheated 375 degree
oven for 20 – 30 minutes or until the
zucchini is firm but tender.
If the cheese didn’t brown, turn the
oven to broil and continue to cook until brown
but watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn, then serve.
Taco Zucchini Boats
- 2 small zucchini
- 1# ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning (this is the 1 & 1/4 oz. packet)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp. dried minced onion
- 1 cup Mexican cheese (or your favorite)
- 1 large tomato
- 1 green onion
- sour cream (optional)
- Rinse zucchini and dry with a paper towel. Slice in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the seeded section of the zucchini.
- Place a paper towel into the center of the zucchini to absorb excess water, leave it there and set aside.
- Add the onions to the water and set aside.
- Dice the tomato and slice the green onions and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat cook the ground beef until no pink remains. Drain the grease.
- Add the taco seasoning to the ground beef and stir well.
- Add the water with the onion and the taco sauce and stir well.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until all of the liquid is gone.
- Add the tomato sauce, stir well and simmer until thick and you can pick it up with a fork then set aside.
- Spray cooking oil into an oven safe dish that the zucchini will sit flat in. Remove the paper towel from the zucchini and place them into the dish cut side up.
- Fill the zucchini with the meat, top with diced tomato and top with the cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 – 30 minutes or until the zucchini is firm but tender.
- If the cheese is not lightly brown, turn the oven to broil. Watch carefully and broil until cheese is brown then serve.