Simple Shrimp Creole
Shrimp Creole is a spicy dish full of Shrimp, Andouille Sausage and vegetables with a delicious tomato based broth. Eat this right from a bowl or serve it over rice, either way will leave you wanting more.
Source: Adapted from Debi Schull
In a large deep pan such as a Dutch oven,
add oil and heat over medium heat.
Sauté the sliced sausage on both sides.
Once both sides are brown remove
from the pan and keep warm.
Add the onion, green pepper and celery
to the pan cooking until the vegetables
are tender. I don’t like green pepper
so you won’t see it in my dish.
Add the garlic, chicken broth, tomatoes,
corn, brown sugar and cayenne pepper.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer
and simmer, covered, for 10 – 12 minutes.
Add the sausage and shrimp.
Stir, making sure the shrimp are under the
broth, and simmer for 3 minutes with the lid on.
Shrimp will be opaque and pink in color when
completely cooked. Do not over cook.
Place in a bowl and eat as is or serve over rice.
Simple Shrimp Creole
- 1 – 13.5 oz. package Andouille sausage, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 – 14 oz. can chicken broth
- 2 – 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 1 – 12 oz. bag frozen sweet corn, thawed
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1# uncooked shrimp (peeled, deveined and tails removed)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a large deep pan such as a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the sliced sausage and sauté until both sides are brown. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the onions, green pepper and celery to the pan. Saute until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the garlic, chicken broth, tomatoes, corn, brown sugar and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer, covered, for 10-12 minutes.
- Add the sausage and the shrimp, stir, pushing the shrimp under the broth.
- Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3 minutes with the lid or until the shrimp are opaque and pink. Do not over cook.
- Place into serving bowls or serve over rice.