Cheesy Macaroni with Chicken & Broccoli
Cheesy Macaroni with Chicken & Broccoli is a kid friendly meal that even the adults will love. My grandson was still asking for this three days later but there wasn’t any leftovers.
Rinse the broccoli, cook in boiling water
until tender, drain and set aside.
Dice the cooked chicken into bite size pieces.
In a large pot cook the pasta according to
the package directions, drain and set aside.
In a large frying pan add the oil
and onions over medium heat.
Cook the onion until tender.
Add the diced chicken cooking
just until warm then set aside.
In a large pot over medium
heat, melt the butter.
Add the flour.
Whisk together until bubbly.
Gradually add the milk whisking to combine.
Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer.
Stirring constantly, cook
until thick and bubbly.
Stir in the salt and pepper.
Add the cheese.
Stir until the cheese melts
and remove from the heat.
Add the chicken and broccoli to the macaroni.
Gently toss to combine.
Pour the cheese sauce on top of the macaroni.
Gently toss until all of the macaroni
is covered in the cheese sauce.
Place in serving bowls then serve.
Cheesy Macaroni with Chicken & Broccoli
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked (with skin & bones removed)
- 16 oz. elbow macaroni
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 16 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- Rinse the broccoli and cook in boiling water until tender, drain and set aside.
- Dice the cooked chicken into bite size pieces.
- In a large pot cook the macaroni according to the package directions, drain and set aside.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and onions cooking until the onions are tender.
- Add the diced chicken and cook just until warm, remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and whisk until combined and bubbly.
- Gradually add the milk whisking to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stirring constantly, cook until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in the salt and pepper then add then cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted then remove from the heat.
- Add the chicken and the broccoli to the macaroni and gently toss to combine.
- Pour the cheese sauce on top of the macaroni. Gently toss until the macaroni is completely covered in the cheese sauce.
- Place in a serving bowl and enjoy.
Categories: Cheese, Chicken, Pasta, Vegetables/Slaws/Salads
Thsi looks easy to make
Easy and delicious! Thanks!
Very tasty and nourishing 🙂 thank you, dear Diane – amitiés 🙂
Thank you and you’re very welcome!
Thank you so much! Have a great week!
Love that you made your own cheese sauce!
Thank you Jessica! It really is pretty simple to do.
You are welcome. I also like how you match the pictures up with the steps. The visuals are nice.
Thank you so much!
You’re welcome! 🙂
Fantastic choice for your Blog Promotion: http://riversidepeace.com/2019/09/10/tuesday-blog-promotion-sep-10th/
Just looking at your pictures and my mouth is watering 🙂 Delicious Diane!
Aw thank you so much!
This is my go to dish for pot luck dinners, or something similar. I never know whether to take a side dish, a carb dish, or a meat dish. Something similar to this covers all basis.
So true and who doesn’t love mac & cheese!
I feel like a kid just looking at this! I want to eat the whole darn bowl! 😀 Good grief, this looks so good Diane. And easy, thank the Lord! I’ve printed this off and will definitely be giving it a go in the very near future. Yum!
Sending you TONS of love, my friend. Never forget how special you are 🙂
Thank you so much Holly! I hope you enjoy this a sit was a big family hit! You are the special one Holly. You are always so kind. ❤❤❤
Omg hii it’s been so long Diane!! But hey I thought I’d check out this. Not a fan of broccoli but still a great recipe <3
Hi!!! Just leave the broccoli out! It was a great mac & cheese recipe.
How long have you been a chef?
I’m not a chef I just have been cooking my entire life. I love learning to make anything. I also love taking food classes. I have four classes I’m taking in the next two months…so excited!
Lovely comfort food is this! V love it!
Thank you my family loved it!
Mac n cheese is my weakness and this looks super delicious!!
Thank you we really enjoy this recipe.
Nice cheese sauce!
Mac-n-cheese is good all by itself but dressing it up with broccoli – it’s suddenly healthy (well mostly). 🙂
Oh yes mac & cheese is always good…lol
This is definitely a step up from the standard mac and cheese. How do you cook your chicken, grill, roast, boil or does it matter?
It really doesn’t matter as long as it is skinless and boneless. I use rotisserie chicken.
Love the idea of adding broccoli. This is a perfect, one-dish meal, no?
Thanks! I swear I should have just did a blog on one dish meals. They are my favorite things to make.
Me too Alfiano no matter how it is made…lol Tried to visit your site but it keeps telling me it’s not secure.