Chesapeake Crab Strata
I had never tasted Chesapeake Crab Strata before. I had a 1# can of crab sitting in my refrigerator just screaming to be used. This is another very easy recipe to prepare and a great dish for the holidays especially if you are having guests. However, I wasn’t sure if it would taste as good as it sounded so I made it just for us. After all, I must taste test new recipes before I make them for others. It was very difficult not sharing all that delicious crab but we managed!
Source: Favorite Brand Name Country Christmas
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Place the butter into a 9” deep pie plate.
Place the pie plate with the butter into
the oven until the butter completely melts.
Carefully remove from the
oven and place on a hot pad.
Pour the croutons over the melted butter.
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs.
Add the milk, dry mustard,
seafood seasoning, salt and pepper.
Whisk until combined.
Place the cheese evenly over the
croutons then pour the egg
mixture over the cheese.
Sprinkle the crab evenly on top
covering the entire top with crab.
It will be higher than the pie
plate but it will be fine.
Bake for 50-55 minutes or until egg is set.
Let sit for 10 minutes then slice and serve.
Chesapeake Crab Strata
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 cups unseasoned croutons
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp seafood seasoning (I used Old Bay)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 pound shredded crabmeat, picked through
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Put the butter into a 9” deep pie plate.
- Place the pie plate into the oven until the butter melts.
- Swirl the melted butter around the pipe plate then add the croutons.
- Place the shredded cheese evenly over the croutons.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the milk, dry mustard, seafood seasoning, salt and pepper then whisk well.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture evenly over the cheese.
- Sprinkle the crab meat evenly over the top. The crab will be higher than the pie plate so you can mound it toward the center if you need to but it will not boil over as long as you used a deep pie plate. The egg will set and everything stays in place.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until the center is set. Let cool 10 minutes, slice and serve.