Shepherd’s Pie made in my 10” Cast Iron Pan is always a favorite with my husband. It is a great way to impress guests too! This can be made in any pan and finished off in an oven safe dish if you don’t have cast iron pans. The flavor of all these delicious ingredients come together once you bake it in the oven making this a great one pan meal.
Cook the potatoes then mash with
salt, pepper, butter and milk.
In a 10” cast iron pan cook ground beef over
medium heat until no pink remains and the
meat is cooked through.
Remove ground beef to a bowl, leaving
grease in the pan. Cook the garlic and
onions in the grease until tender.
Add the vegetables and crumbled
bouillon (optional) to the same pan.
Cook until the vegetables are soft.
Add the cooked ground beef, Worcestershire
sauce, tomato paste and salt and pepper to taste.
Stir and mix thoroughly.
Let this simmer for about 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat and press the beef
mixture down. Sprinkle the cheddar
cheese evenly over the top.
Place the mashed potatoes evenly over the
compressed meat. Sprinkle with
the Parmesan Cheese.
Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for
20 minutes or until lightly brown on top.
Broil an additional 3-5 minutes to get
a nice golden brown if you wish.
Allow to cool 5-10 minutes before serving.
Shepherd's Pie Version 1
- 2# ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 12 oz. frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 2 crumbled beef bouillon cubes, optional
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk, (potatoes should be thin but not runny)
- 1 Tbsp. parsley
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place potatoes into a pot and add salted water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil and boil for about 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain potatoes and place them into a bowl. Mash potatoes with butter, milk, parsley, salt and pepper (to taste) and set aside.
- In a 10″ cast iron pan (or any pan) cook the ground beef over medium heat until no pink remains and it is cooked through. Remove ground beef to a bowl leaving the grease in the pan.
- Cook the garlic and onion in the ground beef grease until translucent.
- Add the vegetables and the crumbled bouillon (optional) to the pan and simmer until tender. I did not use the bouillon and it was still amazing!
- Add the cooked ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and salt & pepper to taste, and mix well.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and compress the meat mixture with a spatula. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese evenly over the top.
- Place the mashed potatoes on the top spreading them to the edge. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top of the potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until potatoes are a light brown.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes until the potatoes are a nice golden brown if you wish.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.