What a simple, hearty and delicious soup this turned out to be. We love tortellini but I have never made soup with it before now. Usually I turn it into an Alfredo dish, but not this time! This recipe makes enough for an entire family!
In a large stock pot, melt the butter and
add the onion, celery, carrots and garlic.
Cook for 10 minutes over a medium
heat, with a lid, stirring occasionally.
Add the chicken broth and water.
Bring to a boil over medium heat.
Turn to a simmer and cook for
15 minutes with the lid on.
Add the herbs and tortellini then
cook according to the package
directions for the tortellini.
My tortellini said to boil for
four minutes. Sprinkle Parmesan
cheese on top and serve.
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks, rinsed and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 18 – 24 oz cheese or meat tortellini
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots and celery. Cook on medium heat with a lid for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Sir in the chicken broth. With a lid, bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer and continue cooking with a lid for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tortellini and the rest of the ingredients, except for the parmesan cheese. Cook for what ever time the tortellini package says to cook it. Mine said four minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and top with parmesan cheese.