Oh my gosh did this turn out wonderful! Anybody can make this simple Pizza Bread! I have been wanting to try this for some time now. I wanted to keep it simple yet elegant looking and it worked! I made this with onion, cheese and lots of pepperoni but you can make it any way you want. Add some mushrooms, sausage, peppers……well you get the idea. It is like a pizza wrapped in the dough and topped with sweet dried basil.
Ingredients – Plus 1 Tbsp butter
Melt butter and add chopped onion
(and any other vegetables you want)
Cook vegetables until they are half way cooked.
Cook sausage if you decide to use it too.
Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
Place pizza dough on it and pat it out to 11″ x 14″ size.
In the center of the dough, make three rows
of pepperoni, lengthwise, using all of the
pepperoni. Place chopped, cooked onion
(or any other vegetables and cooked meat),
evenly on top of the pepperoni.
Add about 1/4 cup sauce on top of the onions.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Using kitchen scissors, cut the sides of
the dough to within 1/2″ of the filling.
Fold the ends up then crisscross the cut
pieces from the left side then the right
side covering all of the filling.
Make an egg wash by whisking the egg
and water together and then brushing
it all over the top of the dough in a
thin coat. Sprinkle with dried basil.
Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven
for 11-15 minutes. If it is not a golden
brown on top, switch the oven
to broil and watching carefully, finish
browning the top to a golden brown.
Let the Pizza Bread sit for 10 minutes then slice.
Dip into the leftover pizza sauce if you wish.
- 1 – 13.8 oz can refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 cup pizza cheese
- 6 oz pepperoni
- 15 oz can pizza sauce
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbl butter
- 1 Tbl dried basil, optional
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbl water
Optional: Cooked sausage or other vegetables.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and sauté the onions (and any other vegetables) until they are halfway cooked through.
- Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the pizza dough on the pan and unroll it patting it to 11″ x 14″.
- Make three rows of pepperoni down the center horizontally. Place the onion (and any other vegetables or cooked sausage) evenly over the pepperoni. Add 1/4 cup of sauce on top of the onions, optional. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
- Using kitchen scissors cut strips in sides of the dough about 1″ wide. Cut up to 1/2″ from the filling on both sides of the pizza dough. Fold up both ends of dough and then crisscross the cut pieces enclosing the bread on top.
- With a fork whisk the egg and water together. Brush on top of the bread lightly but coating it all. Sprinkle with the dried basil.
- Bake for 11-15 minutes. If the top is not completely golden brown, turn the oven to broil and watching constantly, broil Pizza Bread until golden brown on top.
- When done, put the pan on a hot pad and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut Pizza Bread and serve with the extra pizza sauce (optional).